Data Scientist (Health Care)
At Pacmed we build decision support tools for doctors, based on the analysis of vast volumes of medical data. Using Machine Learning, this software presents doctors the expected outcomes of different treatments, based on the results of the treatment of similar patients in practice. Pacmed resulted from the Dutch National ThinkTank 2014 on Big Data for societal benefits and is now a fast-growing AI start-up that won multiple awards and, more importantly, has a lot of traction in Dutch health care. Many General Practitioners are using our software and we are developing machine learning algorithms in Oncology, Cardiology, Psychiatry and at the Intensive Care Unit. Pacmed’s team consists of machine learning and medical experts working together from our office in the amazing FreedomLab campus at the Plantage Middenlaan in Amsterdam
What will you do?
As a Data Scientist at Pacmed, you will directly impact many patient’s lives with advanced Data Science and Machine Learning. Using patient data like medical files and sensor data from Dutch medical institutions, you build algorithms that predict the outcome of different treatments the doctor can choose from. You will have the opportunity to become an expert in applying both state of the art Machine Learning techniques (e.g. complex classifiers, (recurrent) neural networks, natural language processing, advanced signal processing) and advanced statistical techniques (e.g. bayesian modeling, advanced causal inference techniques). You discuss with medical professionals how your models and insights can make health care more personal and precise. Your algorithms will be implemented in the decision support software that doctors will use every day. This means your work will directly impact many patient’s lives! Please visit our Medium page for concrete examples of projects you could be doing at Pacmed.
What do you get?
A lot of opportunity for personal development (e.g. development afternoons, soft skills trainings, budget for online courses).
- You work together within a vibrant community of experienced data scientists and leading technical and medical academics.
- You work closely together in an enthusiastic and ambitious team, dedicated to make health care smarter and better.
- You get the opportunity to grow with the company into a role with many responsibilities (e.g. training and mentoring junior data scientists).
- A dynamic working environment where fun at work is very important.
- Master's in Econometrics, AI, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or a comparable analytical field.
- 1-2 years working experience with data science projects.
- Extensive programming experience, preferably in Python.
- You are driven by a societal purpose and excited about improving health care.
- You are enthusiastic, highly motivated and committed to improving yourself and learning new things,
- You can put your analyses into the context of its application and can communicate complex technical problems in a simple way to doctors.
- Experience with applying Machine Learning.
- Experience in or affiliation with health care.
- Since you’ll be working with Dutch data and Dutch doctors, understanding Dutch is preferred.
Do you want to join us in our mission? Apply here!