Data Engineer (Health Care)
At Pacmed we build decision support tools for doctors, based on the analysis of vast volumes of medical data. Using Machine Learning, this software presents doctors the expected outcomes of different treatments, based on the results of the treatment of similar patients in practice. Pacmed resulted from the Dutch National ThinkTank 2014 on Big Data for societal benefits and is now a fast-growing AI start-up that won multiple awards and, more importantly, has a lot of traction in Dutch health care. Many General Practitioners are using our software and we are developing machine learning algorithms in Oncology, Cardiology, Psychiatry and at the Intensive Care Unit. Pacmed’s team consists of machine learning and medical experts working together from our office in the amazing FreedomLab campus at the Plantage Middenlaan in Amsterdam
What will you do?
As a Data Engineer at Pacmed you will make sure that Machine Learning models add value to everyday life in Hospitals and General Practices. You will provide the Data Science team with the proper environment to develop models by (for example) building a Data Lake or setting up a Data Warehouse. When models are ready to be used in production, you will take care of the implementation in different kinds of environments.
Important aspects of the job include:
- Ensure an end-user (typically a doctor) will have access to Machine Learning predictions models by building software solutions that either run in a cloud platform, or on the clients private servers
- Build data lake and data warehouse solutions to streamline the development and training / testing of our Machine Learning models
- Ensure that running models are properly monitored
- Ensure that data and predictions provided by running models are properly ingested back into our data-solutions
- Help to choose between an Object-Oriented, Functional Programming or Event-sourcing approach for different projects
What do you get?
- A lot of opportunity for personal development (e.g. development Fridays, soft skills trainings, budget for online courses, visiting conferences).
- You get the opportunity to grow with the company into a role with many responsibilities (e.g. training and mentoring junior data scientists & engineers).
- You work together within a vibrant community of experienced data scientists & engineers and leading technical and medical academics.
- You work in an environment where we continuously ensure that our software is of production-level quality through Merge Requests, code review and unit- and integration testing.
- You work closely together in an enthusiastic and ambitious team, dedicated to make health care smarter and better.
- The opportunity to become part of Pacmed’s employee participation plan.
- A dynamic working environment where fun at work is very important.
- An office at the FreedomLab campus, including unlimited coffee & snacks, Friday drinks, ping-pong competitions and a great location in the heart of Amsterdam
- Minimum 1 to 2 years professional experience in a similar role
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Econometrics or similar, technical studies
- Extensive programming experience in Python and thorough knowledge on object-oriented software design
- Experience with distributed systems, preferably with Hadoop and Apache Spark
- Experience with streaming data, preferably in Apache Kafka
- Experience with NoSQL storage like ElasticSearch, Cassandra or HBase
- Experience with building Data Lakes and Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) pipelines
- Basic knowledge of Machine Learning
- Programming experience with Scala or Java
- Experience with Docker / Kubernetes
- Understanding and speaking Dutch is preferred but not required
Do you want to join us in our mission? Apply here!